Cebu Technological University, formerly known as Cebu State College of Science and Technology (CSCST), became a state university on November 10, 2009 by virtue of Republic Act No. 9744.
It is composed of one (1) main; nine (9) satellite and 13 extension campuses throughout the province of Cebu. Main campus is located in Cebu City; satellite campuses in Argao, Babag, Barili, Carmen, Daanbantayan, Danao City, San Francisco, Moalboal and Tuburan, and extension campuses in Balamban, Bantayan, Dumanjug, Ginatilan, Malabuyoc, Naga, Oslob, Pinamungahan, Samboan, San Fernando, San Remigio, Tabogon, and Tabuelan.
It started as Cebu School of Arts and Trades in Cebu City, Sudlon Agricultural College in Lahug, Cebu City, Abellana National School in Cebu City, Danao Vocational School in Danao City, Tuburan Vocational School in Tuburan, Moalboal School of Fisheries in Moalboal, Argao Agro-Industrial School in Argao, Quirino School of Fisheries in Carmen, Manuel A. Roxas Memorial School of Fisheries in Daanbantayan, and Magsaysay School of Fisheries in San Francisco, Camotes Islands. These were integrated into Cebu State College of Science and Technology (CSCST) System on June 10, 1983 by virtue of Batas Pambansa Bilang 412. It was mandated that the new state college shall expand its curricular programs focusing on higher technological education.
On December 16, 2003, to fully standardize and to highly institutionalize the entire management of its educational system, Cebu State College of Science and Technology was granted Certificate of Registration by Anglo-Japanese American (AJA) Registrars Incorporated in accordance with ISO 9001:2000 Quality Management System Standards, with Certification No. AJA 03/6952 giving it international recognition. On February 7, 2007, CSCST was recertified by AJA Registrars Inc. as ISO 9001:2000 QMS compliant.
Main Campus in Cebu City started in 1911 when the Cebu Trade School was established as one of the earliest vocational schools in the country. Founded by the Americans as the Manual Arts Department of the Cebu Normal School (now Cebu Normal University), its main purpose was to develop technical skills. The school produced its first graduates in 1912.
Cebu Trade School later became an affiliate of the Cebu Provincial High School located along Jones Avenue. Through Proclamation No. 180 on August 20, 1928, it became a separate entity and acquired its present site at the corner of M.J. Cuenco Avenue, and R. Palma St.
In 1925, the secondary school was opened. In 1940, Commonwealth Act No. 313 renamed Cebu Trade School to Cebu School of Arts and Trades (CSAT). That same year, it offered the two-year technical course for male students. In 1950 it opened its doors to female students.
CSAT’s first tertiary offering was the Bachelor of Science in Industrial Education in 1954. In 1969, it offered Master of Education (M.Ed.) and Master of Arts in Vocational Education (MAVED). In 1975, it started offering Bachelor of Science in Industrial Technology (BSIT). In 1982, it offered the Master in Public Administration.
In 1996, to meet the needs of technologists occupying managerial positions in the industry, the Graduate School of the Cebu State College of Science and Technology offered the Doctor of Philosophy in Technological Management (Ph.D. TM) and Doctor in Development Education (Dev.Ed.D) a year later.
In 1998, the Bachelor of Elementary Education and the Bachelor of Secondary Education achieved Level 1 Accreditation Status as assessed and evaluated by the Accrediting Agency of Chartered Colleges and Universities in the Philippines (AACCUP). These were the first curricular programs of CSCST to be accredited.
Argao Campus began as an extension school of Cebu Provincial High School in Cebu City in 1945 before the Americans landed in Cebu to continue the pre-war classes. On July 1,1945 the Provincial Board and the school authorities established it as the Cebu South Provincial High School. In 1949 buildings were constructed out of the war reparation funds. The school was then converted to Cebu South National High School in 1961. After seventeen years, it was converted to Cebu South Agro-Industrial School. In 1984, it was renamed CSCST-Agro-Industrial and Forestry College.
Barili Campus traced its origin in Barangay Sudlon, Cebu City. By virtue of The Omnibus Law 948, the Sudlon Agricultural School was created on August 2, 1948. In 1954, it was transferred to Lahug, Cebu City. In 1972, it became one of the eleven agricultural schools placed under the Bureau of Vocational Education – EDPITAF Program. It was during this time when tertiary degrees in agriculture were opened. On May 30, 2001, as part of the CSCST System, the College of Agriculture was relocated to its present 100-hectare site in Cagay, Barili.
San Francisco Campus traced its foundation on June 22, 1956 when RA No. 1984 was enacted to create the Cebu School of Fisheries in the Municipality of Poro. However, in June 1961, the school was transferred to the Municipality of San Francisco because of its large population. Under RA No. 3500, the school was renamed Magsaysay School of Fisheries in 1963. It was changed in 1984 to CSCST-Fishery and Industrial College.
Carmen Campus started as the Quirino School of Fisheries under RA No. 2700 in 1959. It was administered and supervised in 1964 by Cebu School of Arts and Trades (CSAT), Cebu City. By virtue of MECS Order No. 72, s.1979, the school was converted into a Regional Institute of Fisheries Technology (RIFT), one of the seven schools under the Educational Development Projects Implementing Task Force (EDPITAPH). It was renamed CSCST-College of Fisheries Technology in 1984.
Daanbantayan Campus was founded on March 3, 1948 by virtue of Provincial Board Resolution No. 500 and was named Manuel A. Roxas School of Fisheries, the oldest known fishery school of the country. In 1951, by virtue of RA No. 673, it became a national vocational school under the supervision of the Bureau of Public Schools. It transferred to its present site in Agujo, Daanbantayan and in 1952, its supervision was assigned to the Bureau of Fisheries. The school became one of the regional fishery schools offering both secondary and post-secondary programs.
On April 8, 1983, the school was converted into Central Visayas College of Fisheries under B.P. 379. However, before its implementation, another law, B.P. 412, was approved on June 10, 1983 making the school part of the Cebu State College of Science and Technology System. Finally, in 1984, it was renamed CSCST-College of Fisheries.
Danao Campus started in June 1949 by virtue of Danao Municipal Council Resolution naming it Danao Provincial High School. On June 22, 1957, RA No. 1907 converted it into a national vocational secondary school. In July 1965, the school transferred to its present site in Sabang, Danao City. Ten years later, it was changed to Danao Vocational School which then offered the two-year trade technical curriculum. In 1984, it was renamed CSCST-College of Industrial Technology.
Moalboal Campus started as Moalboal Provincial High School by authority of Moalboal Municipal Council Resolution No. 87 dated December 31, 1947. On February 15, 1967 by virtue of RA No. 3613, it was converted to Moalboal Southern School of Fisheries. In 1975, its name was shortened to Moalboal School of Fisheries. In that same year, the Three-Year Diploma in Fishery Technology was offered.
Tuburan Campus was first established in 1945 as Cebu North Provincial High School. On June 18, 1961, RA No. 3433 converted it to a national, vocational high school. A year later, RA No. 3502 renamed it Tuburan National School. It later became CSCST-Polytechnic College and through Board of Trustees Resolution No. 028 dated November 16, 2004, its name was changed to CSCST–Tuburan Campus, reflecting its geographical location.