The University Research and Development covers basic, applied and developmental fields in engineering and technology, fisheries, forestry, agriculture and natural resources, arts, sciences and humanities, health sciences, and education.
Multidisciplinary approach is highly encouraged. Research thrusts shall be aligned to the rural and urban development in consonance with the priorities of the Philippine Government, including Department of Science and Technology, Commission on Higher Education, Department of Agriculture, Department of Tourism, and Department of Energy, and international organizations, including United Nations, World Health Organizations and OIE.
Office of the Vice President for Research and Development 10 Point-Agenda
1. Continuing and developing high impact programs – IPOPhil, research
capability enhancement trainings, grant applications, ethics training,
professorial peer mentoring, student research capability, etc.
2. Re-structuring of the Office of the VP for Research and Developments for
inclusive management of core research functions such as grants, research
linkages, publications, awards, research center management, trainings,
decentralization of some support functions (turn-it-in, ethical reviews,
reporting) and creation of operations manual for the OVPRD.
3. Grants and GAA Management – allocation of seed grant of newly established
centers (200-300k) (also proposal based) and restructuring of GAA grants;
application to national and international funding agencies; CTU will be branded
by the grants and equipment will be improved.
4. Research time allocation – deloading for faculty doing research and
organization of core research teams (critical mass per college or campus)
5. Clear policy direction and support – Revision of R and D manual, formulation of
CTU Research Ethics Code and University Research Guide
6. Boosting morale/ Recognition – Research awards and incentives,
compensation scheme and recognition of outstanding faculty, student and
staff researchers and their accomplishments
7. Efficiency – only quality research presentations that are publishable will be
allowed to present (guidelines will be formulated); LESS PAPER (online data
management platform) or PAPERLESS platform for improved monitoring; close
monitoring of participants to trainings; Digitizing records; online
communication; creation of Individual Research Profile for easy reference,
access and communication
8. Research dissemination. Publication to ISI/SCOPUS and CHED Accredited
journals – special JATM edition and increased collaboration with other CHED
Accredited Journals; strengthening campus, center or college journals; and
organizing in-house Conferences (per field to increase intramural
collaboration) and international conference(s)
9. Close monitoring and coaching of research centers and “HotSpot” colleges or
10. Improve intramural services through research – Research for non-teaching
personnel – Operational research aimed at improving CTU system