According to the socio-economic survey of the Municipalities of the Islands of Camotes, the town of San Francisco is classified as a fifth-class town in accordance with Presidential Decree (P. D.) No. 465. It has a land area of 11,564 hectares, of which 95 percent is occupied. The municipality is composed of fifteen (15) barangays.
Before the existence of the Magsaysay School of Fisheries, there were only two existing high schools, namely: Camotes Visayan Institute in the town of Poro and the Camotes Provincial High School, in San Francisco, now known as Camotes National High School, in San Francisco. These two existing high schools were extending their educational services to the three neighboring towns.
The town officials of the municipalities of the Islands of Camotes Cebu felt the necessity of training and educating the people in the field of fishery technology. Besides that, the place itself can justify recommending fishery education, especially to those poor but deserving students. Furthermore, it is a national commitment and mandated in our Constitution to educate and train the youths for the occupational skills and competencies towards progress for national development.
Republic Act (R.A.) No. 1894 was enacted on June 22, 1956 by the Congress of the Philippines in its fourth session creating the Cebu School of Fisheries in the municipality of Poro, Cebu with an appropriation of Php100,000.00 as provided in the aforesaid Act.
In 1961, as accorded in the Annual Report of Magsaysay School of the Island of fisheries, the school was transferred to San Francisco's municipality, a neighboring town of Poro. The reasons for transferring the said school are: the municipality of San Francisco is the biggest town; it has the biggest population, and the town’s topographical site.
In June 1961, the Cebu School of Fisheries, originally slated for Poro, Cebu was transferred, established and officially opened to the public for enrollment in the Municipality of San Francisco, Cebu.
Under R.A. No. 1894, the school was named Cebu School of Fisheries. The school used only the name for two years since 1963, Under R.A. No. 3500, the name of Cebu School of Fisheries was changed to Magsaysay School of Fisheries. The institutions carried the identification for exactly two decades.
When Batas Pambansa Blg. No. 412 was approved by President Ferdinand E. Marcos, many changes occurred in the system of different vocational schools existing in the province of Cebu. The Cebu School of Arts and Trades (CSAT) was converted into a State College whose managerial services are extended to the different vocational schools in the province of Cebu as provided in Batas Pambansa Blg. No. 412.
Imbued with the idea of changing the name of the institution which is under the umbrella of Cebu State College of Science and Technology, Main Campus, the matter was brought to the attention of the Board Trustees. The body passed Resolution No. 2, s. 1983 during the school board meeting on October 17,1983 which was confirmed during the school board meeting on March 9,1984, identifying the extension units. As Magsaysay School of Fisheries is one of the external campuses of the Cebu State College of Science and Technology, the school changed its name to Cebu State College of Science and Technology – Fishery and Industrial College, San Francisco, Cebu Campus. The change in the name of the extension units is accorded to the school’s thrusts and geographical location. Recently, it was converted into University Status. Per R.A. No. 9744, signed by President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo on November 10, 2009, the CSCST-SYSTEM is now known as CEBU TECHNOLOGICAL UNIVERSITY. The campus is then renamed Cebu Technological University San Francisco Campus.